Home of Wasabi Air Racing

Elliot Seguin and Jenn Whaley's Formula One class air race team based out of Mojave, California. Pylon racing at the National Championship Air Races in Reno Nevada. Eight airplanes racing head to head around telephone poles in the desert. Mojave is the best place on the planet to build and modify a race plane, and Wasabi is lucky to have the best support in the business.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

New Shop Vac

I recently purchased a new Rigid shop vac.  I am very happy with this model.  Previously I used a dust collector style vacuum.  These stand up units run about $350 have big power and draw through a massive 4 inch hose.  Mine got a lot of use and the bag filter became saturated with dust.  I rinsed it out a couple times but the bag really needed to be replaced.  Eventually I found myself putting the collector outside and leaving the bag off when I was making a lot of dust, this got old real quick.  Looking at replacement bags for my collector online I found that it would cost me $80 or more for a new bag.  For $115 I could get a brand new shop vac.  I went with the shop vac.  I found my Rigid at Home Depot.  It came with a bunch of straight hoses and other accessories to lose and trip over.  The filters run $15 and up and are available at home depot or even Ace hardware.  The unit is well built with high quality castors.  It features an accessory bag that kind of works and if you hate it it’s removable.  The 20 foot cord is really nice, and when you start tripping over it you can coil it conveniently around the handle.  I do miss the four inch hose that my old dust collector had but I don’t miss the dust that it sprayed all over my shop.  If you are looking for a shop vac I recommend the rigid 14 gal.